If you are interested in starting a limited liability Company (LLC), Corporation or Limited Partnership (LP), you more than likely will need to designate a registered agent.
When you start an LLC, LP or Corporation most states require you to designate someone to receive service of process notifications. Service of process is a legal process which states that all parties must be notified when facing legal action. If legal action is made against your company, then your registered agent will receive those documents for you.
Lawsuit notices, tax documents and other legal papers are the type of documents your registered agent will be required to receive on your behalf.
Top 5 Reasons to use a third-party Registered Agent:
- Keep your home address private. Your registered agent’s address is a matter of public record.
- Don’t put your LLC or corporation in legal jeopardy. States may revoke a business’s corporate or LLC legal status as well as in some cases, assess additional penalty fees on the entity if you don’t maintain a registered agent.
- Businesses cannot be their own registered agent.
- Never missed an important document.
- A registered agent must have a physical business address (not a PO Box) that is open during normal business hours.